Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Surface Warfare (SUW) Subject Matter Expert
Develops; organizes; and conducts navigation, seamanship, and professional ship handling training and educational programs for personnel assigned to USS FREEDOM (LCS-1) Class Littoral Combat Ships. Must be capable of conducting conventional knowledge-based classroom teaching and performance/scenario-based laboratory training.
The candidate would serve as a LCS-1 Mission Package Coordinator (MPC) and Gun Console Operator (GCO) instructor to train LCS-1 sailors in tactical and operational employment of the LCS-1 SUW Mission Package and associated weapons systems (Surface Ship Missile Module-SSMM, 30MM Gun Fire Control System), associated Command and Control (C2) support systems, system capabilities and limitations, and interface with LCS-1 Host Combat System (COMBATSS-21). When required, the candidate would provide subject matter expertise in support of curriculum development for LCS courses supporting LCS Mission Package operations and employment training or surface Navy gun and missile systems training.
GENERAL TASK DESCRIPTION:
- Must be prepared to support the Train to Qualify (T2Q) and Train to Certify (T2C) process utilizing shore-based trainer requiring dynamic training and assessment of watchstanders during integrated scenarios.
- Primary instruction in LCS-1 SUW Mission Package Coordinator (MPC) and Gun Console Operator (GCO) Capstone and LCS-1 SUW Crew Certification Training.
- Additional duties also include Common Mission Package Trainer (CMPT) training system operator to support lab/scenario-based training.
- Prepares; reviews; and customizes curriculum lesson plans and instructor guide in support of traditional classroom teaching.
- Supports Formal Course Reviews and Curriculum Updates; conducts training gap analysis provides formal feedback and recommendation for Course improvement.
- Based on seniority; will be responsible for the preparations of subordinate instructor’s annual performance appraisals for leadership.
- Develops; tests; maintains; and delivers moderately complex Navy Combat Systems training programs and related materials in support of CSCS training objectives.
- Establishes and reviews course content and objectives.
- Conducts training sessions and develops criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of training activities.
- Maintains records of training activities; participant progress; and program effectiveness.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
- Observes and assesses contemporaries during Practice and Certification Teaches per requirements in NAVEDTRA 135.
- Candidate will be required to support a second shift work schedule on a rotational basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications, training, or work/military experience.
MINIMUM SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Five (5) years of experience in LCS-1 SUW Mission Package operations or former Navy Fire Control system operator/technician, former Navy Gunners Mate (GM) and/or qualified Master Training Specialist.
- Of the five years, one (1) year of experience as an instructor/trainer/evaluator in a Navy Training Environment, to include curriculum maintenance, writing learning objectives, preparing test items, evaluating instructional materials and the results of instruction and counseling students on academic learning problems.
- Navy Master Training Specialist (NEC 9502) desired.
- Experience as trainer/instructor in support of CSCS/ATRC/TACTRAGRU is a significant plus.
- Must be able to support training with extended periods on your feet while instructing.
- Hold Current Secret Clearance or able to obtain Secret Clearance.
- Travel may be up required to 10 % of time.
Job Type: Full-time
- Relevant: 5 years (Preferred)